Saturday, September 27, 2014

Google Classroom

As a lover of all things Google, I decided that it was time to try out Google Classroom, a straightforward way to create a workflow to and from students through their Google accounts. This video explains how to set up a classroom and how to create assignments. Bonus: It allows you to view the Teacher and Student accounts simultaneously.




After setting up my class and adding students, I created my assignment: a Google Presentation that focuses on the proper use of "your" and "you're" using photographs.

Check it out:


Here is the link to my Google Presentation assignment. 
Please give attribution if you use it. :)

Finally, I created an assignment in Google Classroom with the Presentation attached. When I shared it with my class, I chose the selection, "Make a copy for each student."





This option takes a looooong time before it shows up in their accounts, but it's worth the wait! I would advise doing this the night before. Another bonus: it automatically puts each student's name on the end of the assignment title.

When students log into their Google Classroom accounts, they will discover that they have an assignment waiting for them. 



Once students open the assignment, they simply view the Presentation, fill in the blanks like so:

Grammar can be scary!!!!

and turn it in. When they do, it populates a folder in my Drive that was automatically created when I created the assignment in Google Classroom. All assignments have their own folders, and all folders are placed in a folder called "Classroom" in Google Drive.




Now I can decide to grade these assignments or call just make this assignment "Practice." 

I am excited about Google Classroom, and I think that it is going to evolve to include many more features, but this is definitely an easy way to begin. Give it a try and see for yourself!

1 comment:

  1. Loved learning more about Google Classroom and seeing the funny slides to learn about grammar. Awesome! Cheers, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete